Want to be notified when this product is back in stock?
Why bring water to your plants when you can bring your plants to water? The Aquatic Anubias Hastifolia is a water plant, meaning it grows completely submerged in water. Whether you place the Hastifolia in a vase, aquarium, or outdoor pond, it will add a bit of underwater life and color. The Hastifolia is native to Africa, and it is often found in rivers, streams, and marshes. These diverse environments have resulted in the Aquatic Anubias Hastifolia being one of the most adaptable and hardy plants you’ll ever own. It also has longer stalks than other Anubias plants, so be sure to place this showstopper front and center!
Medium light. 2 to 3 watts per gallon provided by a fluorescent fixture with daylight bulbs (5000-7000°K).
This plant grows submerged in water.
72°-82°F (water temperature)
Everyone enjoys the simple, calming way that plants bring life to a space. Even just having one plant can inspire creativity and relax the mind through their ability to invoke the healing power of natural spaces. If you are the owner of a fish tank or aquatic garden, you have access to interesting options, especially the Anubias Hastifolia!
Incorporating plants in your aquarium is more than just a great way to add some beauty to your home. If you own fish, these plants will also oxygenate the water and provide them with natural shelter! Anubis Hastifolia can do this, all while beautifying your space, making this a likely hit for your aquarium’s ecosystem!
For more information on this fantastic and easily grown plant species, continue reading!
What is an Anubias Hastifolia?
Coming from the tropical regions of Africa, Anubias Hastiflora may be the largest plant of its genus. Anubias Hastifolia has very long distinctive arrowhead-shaped leaves, otherwise described as spear-shaped. These plants have longer stalks than their unique leaves, giving them a tall, full-bodied appearance.
Anubias Hastifolia is a hardy plant with the ability to withstand various conditions. This is part of its popularity as a commonly grown aquatic plant, besides its appealing looks! Anubias Hastifolia will see optimal growth if you can meet its medium light requirements.
It will remain a slow grower even under optimal light conditions. But, this can be a good thing as slow-growing plants will give you the time to be sure you have the appropriate space to accompany their growth!
The Anubias Hastifolia family are easy plants to take care of. Still, if you are a first-time owner of one of these excellent aquarium plants, you might have some questions about plant care! Read below for some tips to help you provide your Anubias Hastifolia with the best care:
- Plant Size: Anubias Hastifolia can grow to larger sizes than other plants you might find in an aquarium. The leaves can grow up to 33cm, and stem lengths are much longer, reaching up to a full 67cm.
- Light: Anubias Hastifolia has medium light requirements. It does not need constant exposure to bright light to flourish. Too much promotes pesky algae growth, which could detriment your aquarium! Give it too little light, and Anubias Hastifolia’s leaves are likely to wilt!
- Root Care: Anubias Hastifolia’s root system does best when anchored to something like driftwood or rock. It will experience the highest rhizome growth rate when the roots have direct exposure to proper lighting conditions. Be careful planting Anubias Hastifolia in the substrate because they will likely rot if you plant the roots too deep.
- Safe Temperatures to Thrive in: Being a hardy, adaptable plant, Anubias Hastifolia grows well in temperatures ranging from 68°F to 86°F.
- Water Hardness: Anubias Hastifolia can thrive in water PH conditions pH somewhere between 5.0-9.0. But, we recommend sticking as close as you can to a neutral pH of 7.0 because 5.0 is close to becoming acidic, and 9.0 is close to becoming alkaline, which can affect your plant’s growth.
- Nutrients: Anubias Hastifolia does not usually need regular fertilization. Still, it may be necessary to provide it with iron-based supplements to encourage healthy growth. If you house your plant in nutrient-rich water, no extra fertilization or added nutrients should be necessary.
Why Choose an Anubias Hastifolia for Your Home?
Anubias Hastifolia is a well-loved plant, and not without good reason! Being packed full of qualities, it isn’t hard to understand why many people chose these aquatic plants for their homes!
Anubias Hastifolia is as a hardy plant, capable of thriving under various conditions without requiring much care. Sometimes they may need some special care in the form of more nutrients, but this is not a common part of caring for them. These plants are so easy to manage; many owners just plop them into their aquarium and leave it at that!
Cleanses and Purifies
Aside from looking pretty, these plants are great for those of us taking care of aquatic creatures as pets! Anubias Hastifolia will clean the tank, providing your aquarium with fresh oxygenated water! That means you can keep your tank looking fresh and beautiful without having to raise a finger!
Anubias Hastifolia does not need much light to reach optimal growth. They do not need special lighting, so you won’t need to put any money into specialized growing lights. Anubias Hastifolia thrives on low light, so it should do fine in most environments in indirect sunlight.
Are Anubias Hastifolia Plants Good Indoors & Outdoors?
As aquatic plants, you will most likely be housing your Anubias Hastifolia in an aquarium, in a paludarium, or an aquatic garden. These usually need a space set aside indoors so you can better take care of them than if they were outdoors.
Yet, this is not to say that it’s impossible to grow Anubias Hastiofolia outside; the truth is that it is far from impossible! Growing Anubias Hastifolia just requires access to water! So if you are dying to grow one outside, these plants could make a good addition to an outdoor pond or natural body of water!
Fish will likely have no interest in the leaves, so you don’t have to worry about them nibbling little holes into the plant. This Anubias Hastifolia also grows well in running water, making it a decent option to incorporate into an outdoor pond.
Are Anubias Hastifolia Plants Pet and Children Friendly?
Luckily, Anubias Hastifolia is non-toxic and poses no risk to children or animals if it’s accidentally consumed. Before adopting a plant into the family, it’s important to figure out if the plant is safe for your pets and children. They might not know better than absent-mindedly biting or eating your plant while you aren’t looking. While you likely want to discourage any amount of chewing from occurring on your plants, this is extra important if your plant is toxic to animals.
Because fish are unlikely to chew on the leaves of Anubias Hasifolia, you won’t have to worry about it showing bite marks or holes on the leaves. Furthermore, while obvious, it is worth stating that Anubias Hasifolias is a hard plant for most children and pets to reach unless they are willing to plunge themselves into an aquarium tank! This makes it far less likely any children or pets will be able to even touch your plant.
Aquatic Anubias Hastifolia Plant Family Relatives
Anubias Hastifolia is just one type of Anubias, a part of a wider genus of Anubias plants! Other Anubias plants share many features with Anubias Hasifolia, but Hastifolia is one of the biggest. Its size makes Anubias Hastifolia a very desirable option for many, but there are other varieties many plant owners enjoy.
Some other plants from this species are:
- Anubias afzelii– This variety of Anubias has a red stem and narrower leaves than its family members. This makes it a unique option for plant owners wanting to add some color to their tanks.
- Anubias barteri– One of the most popular varieties of Anubias, the leaves of these plants are larger than other members of its family.
- Anubias gigantea– This is a unique variety of Anubias, as the shape of these leaves resembles the shape of an arrowhead! It is a rare variety of Anubias and requires more close attention than its family members!
- Anubias nana petite– Nana petite is in many ways a tiny version of the other Anubias we have covered. It has cute, tiny leaves that grow in bright green colors and has the same bulletproof qualities we associate with other plants of its family.
Anubias is a plant family with many members, which are hardy and attractive additions to any aquatic environment. They share many qualities, but once you’ve fallen in love with them as many have before, you might find yourself branching off to find your personal favorite!
Plant Types That Are Similar to the Aquatic Anubias Hastifolia
If you find yourself becoming a devotee of aquatic plants, you can consider some similar options for some variety! Here are some plants that might look good next to your Anubias Hastifolia:
- Amazon Sword Plant – This plant requires no special lighting and can grow above the substrate in a matter like plants in the Anubias family.
- Bacopa Caroliniana– A small, low-maintenance plant outfitted with little round leaves. This plant thrives well in low light, making it a good option for aquariums without advanced light systems.
- Cryptocoryne Wendtii– This plant will need minimal care and can survive in a variety of lighting conditions. Cryptocoryne Wendtii is a slow-growing plant, so you can expect it to take some time to put on size.
- Aponogeton Crispus– Looking for an inexpensive and low-effort way to get some colorful flowers in your aquarium? Then this could be a good plant for you! Aponogeton Crispus requires very little care, grows fast, and is cheap to buy.
Final Thoughts – Anubias Hastifolia
Plants help bring out some of the best in the people who care for them; they make us more relaxed, focused, and happier. If you are the owner of an aquarium, you can get these benefits by placing beautiful plants like the Anubias Hasifolia in your underwater space. All while cleaning your tank and giving your fish some fresh air!
All in all, if you are looking for a unique and nearly bulletproof addition to your home, the Anubias Hastifolia is a perfect choice!